Father’s Day falls this Sunday 16th June and here, at The Candle Tree we have a wonderful range of gift ideas to mark this special day. You can visit our shop in Gloucester or browse online at The Candle Tree.
Father’s Day has been celebrated around the world for over 100 years. Here are some interesting facts about this occasion:
• The first Father’s Day was celebrated in Washington, USA on 19th June, 1910. Father’s Day started in the USA when Sonora Smart Dodd of Spokane, Washington planned a day to honour Fathers. She was inspired by the first Mother’s Day which was celebrated in 1908.
• Dodd wanted to honour her father, William Jackson Smart, a Civil War veteran who raised six children after his wife died during childbirth.
• Many countries celebrate Father’s Day on the third Sunday in June. Thailand celebrate Father’s Day on the 5th of December, which is the birthday of their King. Germany celebrates Father’s Day on Ascension Day, held 40 days after Easter which, marks the day Jesus ascended to Heaven, according to Christian beliefs. For Australia it is the 1st Sunday of September.
• Father's Day is the fourth-largest card-sending occasion with 72 million cards given every year.
• According to Hallmark cards, fifty percent of all Father's Day cards are purchased for fathers, almost 20 percent of Father's Day cards are given to husbands.
• In the Seahorse world, the Father gives birth to the babies. The female deposits her eggs into the male’s pouch, which he then fertilizes.
• Carnations are known as the traditional flower of Mother's Day, but the rose is the official flower of Father's Day. Sonora Smart Dodd selected the rose for this special holiday, and in many countries people wear roses on Father's Day, red if dad is alive and white if he is deceased.
Below are some of our gift selections available in our Gloucester based shop and on our online shop, it’s not too late to get shopping!
Oiled Beechwood Moustache Shaped Brush. This moustache brush makes a great fun and useful gift for Father’s Day. Beards and moustaches are currently very popular and this brush can be sued to tame any facial hair. The unevenly cut bristles exfoliate dry skin, effectively removing dead skin thus reducing itch and massaging your follicles which reduces ingrown hairs. A perfect little token of appreciation!
Morris & Co Refined Gentleman Travel Duo. An essential duo for the globe-trotting gentleman! The cleansing Hair & Body Wash and lightweight hydrating Shave Gel are formulated with willow bark extract, juniper and borage oils to hydrate hair and skin. Fragranced with uplifting vetiver and bergamot, finished with warm pepper and amber. Makes a stylish and classical Father's Day gift for the discerning Dad!
1 x 100ml hair & body wash and 50ml shave gel.
Elegantly boxed and ready to gift!
Marine French Soap.
• INVIGORATING AROMA. Our marine soap features a light and fresh aqua scent that is reminiscent of a sea breeze. It is a refreshing aroma that is an excellent way to start the day!
• RINSES FRESH & CLEAN
One of the many reasons to turn to our handmade French soaps is that they rinse off without leaving any residue behind. This leaves you skin feeling fresh and clean, and makes it easier for your skin to absorb after-shower body lotions, but don’t forget all of our soaps are enriched with ultra-hydrating Shea Butter.
• PERFECT FOR ALL SKIN TYPES
Our marine soap is great for Dad as well as everyone in the family, not just because of its light and refreshing aroma, but because it is suitable for all skin types. From dry, oily, sensitive, or combination skin, this is the perfect daily soap to keep in the shower or bathtub. This luxury soap makes a lovely thoughtful gift and is a real everyday treat for Father’s Day!
Our shop based on College Street in Gloucester is full of home fragrance & accessories, luxury bath & body products and creative lighting ideas. Michelle White Ceramics combines quirky shapes, different textures and beautiful patterns. Using a mixture of bright colours and simple designs these plaques are a perfect gift accompaniment. At The Candle Tree we stock a range of plaque designs for occasions such as Father's Day. We also have a fabulous selection of Father's Day cards.
Lots more gift ideas to see in-store and online, click the link above!